Canadian Institute of Particle Physics, Research
Scientist and Associate Professor
High Energy Physics: The Higgs Boson and Beyond the Standard Model
Searching for Physics beyond the Standard Model
SciNet, Scinet and the Higgs Discovery
- Nikolina Ilic (Ph.D. student, University of Toronto, 2009-present)
- Haider Syed Abidi, IPP CERN summer student / NSERC USRA, 2013.
- Travis Bain (Ph.D. student, University of Toronto, 2008-2012, M.Sc.
2007-2008, Ph.D. 2012, now a Columbia Science Fellow)
- Victor Rodriguez (NSF REU summer student at CERN, 2012), following this research he received a Goldwater scholarship (2013).
- Christine McLean (NSF REU summer student at CERN, 2011)
- Judson Locke (NSF REU summer student at CERN, 2010)
- Sheetal Saxena (M.Sc. student, University of Toronto, 2008-2009), Dark Matter, SUSY, and ATLAS
- Matthew Betti (NSERC USRA summer student 2009),
Calorimeter Commissioning using Atlantis Event
- Jeremy Ticey (NSF REU summer student at CERN 2009),
ATLAS Calorimeter Commissioning
- lya Feige (IPP Summer student at CERN, 2009)
- Christopher Flores (summer student at CERN 2008),
Summer Student Report
- Jaspreet Sidhu (M.Sc., University of Toronto, 2006-2007)
- Sam Posen (summer student at CERN 2007),
ATLAS Calorimeter Timing
- Ian Ross (NSF REU summer student at CERN 2007),
ATLAS Calorimetry: Cosmic Ray Commissioning
- Alan Robinson (summer student at CERN 2007),
- Siva Darbha (summer student at CERN 2006), SUSY Studies in ATLAS
- Philip Davis (summer student at CERN 2006), LVPS Protection Circuit
- Benjamin Sanders (summer student at CERN 2006), SUSY Studies in ATLAS
- Experimental High Energy Physics at the University of Toronto,
- NSERC USRA
summer student positions
- Higgs Boson Discovery Confirmed, CBC news, March 14, 2013.
- Higgs Boson Particle, The Toronto Star, March 14, 2013.
- The ATLAS Experiment: Big Data and the Hunt for the "God Particle", Ontario Research and Innovation Optical Network (ORION).
- Discovery of the Higgs Boson, Toronto Star, July 2012.
- Maclean's Magazine, July 23, 2012.
- The University of Toronto Varsity, July 19, 2012.
- CFI visit to CERN, March 22, 2012.
- CBC News, November 26, 2010.
- Discovery Channel, Daily Planet, November 9, 2010.
- ATLAS Canada at CERN, November, 2009.
The Toronto Star, and
CTV News, November 28, 2009.
Discovery Channel, Daily Planet, November 23, 2009.
The Large Hadron Collider: Reaching Back to the Big Bang,
(pdf version), Origins Institute Public Lecture, McMaster University, February 26,
- The Toronto Star,
September 11, 2008.
- Radio Canada, September 10, 2008.
Live from CERN,
CTV World News, September 10, 2008.
- CBC Radio,
Quirks & Quarks, September 6, 2008.
The Toronto Star, Atom
Smasher Revs up for Big Bang,
Doomsayers Shrugged Off, September 6, 2008.
- Alta Nova Pictures & TRIUMF.
Montreal Gazette, July 28, 2008.
Spectator, April 26, 2008.
- University of Toronto Magazine, Vol. 35 No. 2, 2008.
- CBC, The Nature of Things, with David Suzuki,
LHC: To the Heart
of Matter, November 15, 2007.
- The Science Show,
CERN and the Large Hadron Collider,
Australian National Radio Broadcast, November 10, 2007 (interviewed by
Dan Falk, Canadian science reporter).
- Russia Today,
Technology Update, October, 2007 (interviewed by Canadian reporter).
- The Discovery Channel, March 17, 2007, Daily Planet, "Big Questions",
Video (WMV 116 MB),
Video (mpeg, 68 MB)
- The Globe and Mail, December 2006, "A Gleam in God's Eye",
University of Toronto -- News@UofT -- News Digest -- (December 23, 2006)
- University of Toronto, Department of Physics, Fall 2006, Interactions, p.4,
- The Toronto Star, December 2005, "Looking for God in a Busted Particle", University of Toronto -- News@UofT -- News Digest -- (December 04, 2005)
- Appearance on Popularis (in Czech)
of papers and Citations for Richard Teuscher (from SLAC HEP database).
- Link to Publications with the ATLAS Collaboration.
- ATLAS Collaboration,
(G. Aad et al), Observation of a new particle in the search for the Standard Model Higgs boson with the ATLAS detector at the LHC, Phys. Lett. B. 716 (31 July 2012).
- Richard Teuscher, for the ATLAS, CMS, CDF, and D0 Collaborations, High pT Jet Physics, arXiv:1111.2484, Proceedings of the XXXI Physics In Collision Symposium, Vancouver, Canada, August 28 - September 1, 2011, (November 10, 2011)
- ATLAS Collaboration (G. Aad et al), Performance of Missing Transverse Momentum Reconstruction in Proton-Proton Collisions at 7 TeV with ATLAS, Eur. Phys. J. C 72 (2011).
- ATLAS Collaboration (G. Aad et al), Measurement of inclusive jet and dijet cross sections in proton-proton collisions at 7 TeV centre-of-mass energy with the ATLAS detector, Eur. Phys. J. C7 (2011).
- ATLAS Collaboration (G. Aad et al), Observation of a centrality-dependent dijet asymmetry in lead-lead collisions at √sNN = 2.76 TeV with the ATLAS detector at the LHC, Phys. Rev. Lett. 105 ( 2010).
- ATLAS Collaboration (G. Aad et al),
Expected Performance of the ATLAS Experiment, arXiv:0901.0512,
CERN-OPEN-2008-020 (January 2009).
H. Okawa, R. Teuscher et al,
With Cosmic Rays: Cells, Clusters, Jets and Missing ET, ATL-COM-CAL-2008-007
ATLAS Collaboration (G. Aad et al),
ATLAS Experiment at the CERN Large Hadron Collider, JINST 3: S08003 (2008).
Transverse Energy from ATLAS Calorimeter Cosmic Ray Data, R. Teuscher et
al, ATL-CAL-INT-2008-001, ATL-COM-CAL-2008-002 (2008).
Time of Flight Analysis Using
Cosmic Ray Muons in the ATLAS Tile Calorimeter, B. Meirose & R. Teuscher,
Performance and Calibration of the TileCal Fast Readout Using the Charge
Injection System, K. Anderson, M. Hurwitz, I. Jen-La Plante, J. Pilcher, R.
Teuscher, TILECAL-INT-2008-002 (2008).
Calibration of ATLAS Tile Calorimeter at the Electromagnetic Scale,
K. Anderson et al, ATL-COM-TILECAL-2008-016 (2008).
Experiment at the CERN Large Hadron Collider, ATLAS Collaboration, G. Aad et al, JINST 3 S08003 (2008).
Optical Instrumentation of the ATLAS Tile Calorimeter, ATLAS TileCal
collaboration, ATL-TILECAL-PUB-2008-005 (2008).
A Mobile Data
Acquisition System, K. Anderson, G. Arabidze, U. Blumenschein, P. Da Silva,
A. Dotti, G. Schlager, J. Schlereth, O. Solov'yanov, R. Teuscher, I. Vivarelli,
JINST 2, P07002 (2007).
Production and Qualification of Scintillator Tiles for the ATLAS Hadronic Tile
Calorimeter, ATLAS TileCal Collaboration, ATL-TILECAL-PUB-2007-10 (2007).
Search for Neutral MSSM Higgs Bosons at LEP, Eur. Phys. J.C47 (2006)
Commissioning with Physics data at ATLAS, R. Teuscher, Proceedings of
Science, HEP 2005 (2006) 386.
The ATLAS Hadronic Tile Calorimeter: From Construction to Physics, P.Adragna
et al., IEEE Trans.Nucl.Sci 53 (2006) 1275-1281.
Digital Signal Reconstruction in the ATLAS Tile Calorimeter, E.Fullana
al, IEEE Trans.Nucl.Sci 53 (2006) 2139-2143.
Design of the front-end analog electronics for the ATLAS Tile Calorimeter,
K. Anderson et al, NIM A551 (2005) 469-476.
Front-end Electronics of the ATLAS Tile Calorimeter,
XI International Conference on Calorimetry in High Energy Physics, CALOR2004, Proceedings, 2004.
- Stand-alone Cosmic Ray Trigger Electronics for the ATLAS Tile Calorimeter,
K. Anderson, J. Pilcher, H. Sanders, F. Tang,
and R. Teuscher, Proceedings, 10th Workshop on Electronics for LHC and Future
Experiments, September 13-17, 2004, Boston, USA.
A measurement of the photonuclear interactions of 180 GeV muons in iron.
Eur. Phys. J. C 28 (2003) 297.
Search for the Standard Model Higgs Boson with the OPAL detector at LEP.
Eur. Phys. J. C 26 (2003) 479.
- ATLAS Tile Calorimeter Interface Card, K. Anderson, A. Gupta, J. Pilcher, H.
Sanders, F. Tang, R. Teuscher, H. Wu, Proceedings, Eighth Workshop on LHC
Electronics, Colmar, France, 2002.
- Search for the Standard Model Higgs Boson in e+e- Collisions at sqrt(s)=192-209 GeV.
Phys. Lett B 499 (2001) 38-52.
Search for Heavy Charged Leptons and Long-lived Heavy Neutral Leptons.
OPAL TN-706, Sept. 2001.
Radiation Tests for Single Event Effects for the ATLAS Tile Calorimeter Front End Electronics.
ATLAS Tile Calorimeter Report, May, 2001.
Search for Unstable
Heavy and Excited Leptons at LEP2 .
Eur. Phys. J. C. 14 (2000) 73-84.
for Heavy and Excited Fermions at sqrt(s) = 183-189 GeV at LEP2 .
Proceedings from ICHEP'98, Vancouver, 1998, OPAL-CR-380, October, 1998.
Unstable Heavy and Excited Leptons in e+e- Collisions at sqrt(s) = 170-172
Published in Eur.Phys.J.C1:45-64, 1998.
Charm and Charm-Strange
Hadron Production in ep Collisions at HERA as Probes of Confinement.
Ph.D. thesis, DESY-F35D-97-01, 134 pp., Jan 1997.
- High ET Jet Physics at the Tevatron and LHC, plenary review talk, Representing the ATLAS, CMS, CDF, and D0 Collaborations, Physics in Collision (PIC 2011), August 30, 2011, Vancouver, Canada.
- JetEtMiss Progress, ATLAS Physics Coordination, December 6, 2010, CERN.
- JetEtMiss: Pisa Workshop Highlights, ATLAS Plenary, October 7, 2010, CERN (Video).
- News from ATLAS at the LHC, Invited Talk at CAP 2010, Toronto, June 10, 2010.
- ATLAS Reconstruction of Electrons / Photons / Taus / Jets / Missing ET, LHCC
Referee meeting with ATLAS, CERN, July 7, 2009.
Missing Transverse Energy: The
Challenge, Invited Talk, Abdus Salam International Center for Theoretical
Joint ICTP-INFN-SISSA Conference: Topical Issues in LHC Physics, Trieste,
Italy, June 30, 2009.
Overview of Missing ET Validation with 10 to 100 pb-1, ATLAS Hadronic
Calibration Workshop, Foz do Arelho, Portugal, June 23-27, 2009.
The Challenge: Missing Transverse Energy, Overview talk, ATLAS Canada
Analysis Meeting, June 17, 2009.
The Road to First Physics with ATLAS at the LHC, Invited Talk, Perimeter
Institute, Waterloo, Ontario, February 27, 2009 (video) .
The Large Hadron Collider: Reaching Back to the Big Bang, Origins Institute
Public Lecture, McMaster University, February 26, 2009.
The Road to First Physics with ATLAS at the LHC, Departmental Colloquium,
Dept. of Physics and Astronomy, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, February
Summary of the Michigan LHC-Dark Matter Workshop, CERN, January 19, 2009.
Determination of Background from QCD: What Do We Need to Find SUSY?, LHC-Dark
Matter Workshop, Ann Arbor, Michigan, January 6-10, 2009.
Search for New Physics with the ATLAS Toronto Group, University of Toronto
Physics Jamboree, September 3, 2008.
Fake Missing ET, 4th ATLAS Hadronic Calibration Workshop, Tucson, Arizona,
March 14-16, 2008, (workshop discussion session).
Fake Missing ET from Cosmic Rays, ATLAS LAr Commissioning, February 20,
Experience with Cosmics on Assessing Data Quality, ATLAS TileCal Plenary, CERN, February 8, 2008.
High Energy Physics: Contributions of Canadians to CERN, CERN, December 5,
Calorimeter Calibration Using Cosmic Rays, ATLAS Calibration Workshop, CERN,
November 12-14, 2007.
Sources of Fake Missing ET, Data Preparation, ATLAS Tile Calorimeter Plenary, October 4, 2007.
Experimental High Energy Physics at the University of Toronto, University of
Toronto Physics Jamboree, September 2007.
Sources of Fake Missing Transverse Energy in ATLAS, ATLAS Computing Systems
Commissioning (CSC) Meeting on Missing Transverse Energy, August 30, 2007.
Backgrounds to Supersymmetry Searches, ATLAS SUSY CSC Meeting, August
ATLAS TileCal Phase 3 Commissioning, ATLAS Tile Calorimeter Week, CERN, July
The Road to First Physics with ATLAS at the LHC, Invited Talk, Academy of
Science, Institute of Physics, and Charles University, Prague, Czech Republic,
January 25, 2007.
Highlights from ATLAS Cosmic Ray Analysis, ATLAS Canada Physics Workshop,
Victoria, BC, December 11-13, 2006.
ATLAS Canada at CERN,
Outreach talk, December 2006
Combined LAr + TileCal Cosmic Ray Commissioning LAr Week, CERN, September 20, 2006
Brief Update on ATLAS Commissioning Toronto Weekly Meeting, July 25, 2006
Commissioning: The Road to Physics ATLAS Overview Week, CERN, February 21, 2006
Particle Physics: Canada at CERN, LHC, ATLAS
Visit of Peter Calamai, National Science Reporter, Toronto Star, to CERN, October 24-26, 2005.
Physics Jamboree Talk
University of Toronto Physics Jamboree, Toronto, September, 2005.
ATLAS Commissioning with Physics.
EPS HEP 2005 Lisbon, Portugal, July 21-27, 2005.
Summary of the Cosmic Ray Expert Week.
ATLAS Tile Calorimeter Commissioning, CERN, Geneva, Switzerland, June 27, 2005.
Challenges of the ATLAS Experiment at the LHC.
IPP Canada: Montreal (Quebec), Ottawa, Toronto (Ontario), Edmonton (Alberta), Vancouver, Burnaby, Victoria (British Columbia), April 6-15, 2005.
ATLAS Commissioning with Cosmic Rays.
ATLAS Offline Commissioning, CERN, March 22, 2005.
Calorimeter Performance Tasks.
ATLAS TileCal Steering Group, Valencia, Spain, March 11, 2005.
Physics Performance of the ATLAS TileCal Low Voltage Power Supply.
Production Readiness Review (PRR) of the ATLAS TileCal Low Voltage Power Supply, CERN, Dec. 10, 2004.
ATLAS Commissioning and Calibration Before Collisions and TileCal CIS and Cs Calibration
ATLAS Calorimeter Commissioning Workshop, High Tatra Mountains, Slovakia, Dec. 1-4, 2004.
ATLAS LAr + TileCal Combined Calorimeter Commissioning.
CERN Combined Calorimeter Meeting, CERN, Geneva, October 20, 2004.
TileCal Front End Electronics Installation & Commissioning.
ATLAS Overview Week, Freiburg, Germany, October 1-7, 2004.
TileCal Front End Electronics Installation.
Calorimeter Installation ASSO (LAr+Tile), CERN, Geneva, July 12-13, 2004.
Combined Calorimeter Commissioning.
CERN Combined Calorimeter Meeting, CERN, Geneva, May 13, 2004.
ATLAS TileCal Commissioning Case Study.
ATLAS Trigger DAQ Week, CERN, Geneva, April 22, 2004.
ATLAS TileCal FrontEnd Electronics.
XI International Conference on Calorimetry in High Energy Physics, CALOR2004, Perugia, Italy, March 29 - April 2, 2004.
Commissioning the ATLAS Tile Calorimeter with Cosmic Ray Muons.
ATLAS Overview Week, Prague, Czech Republic, September, 2003.
Electronics Integration of the ATLAS Tile Calorimeter Electronics.
ATLAS Overview Week, Clermont-Ferrand, France, June, 2002.
Single Event Effects (SEE) Tests of the Tile Calorimeter Electronics.
ATLAS Electronics Coordination, CERN, Geneva, February, 2002.
Higgs Beyond the Standard Model at LEP2 .
XXXVI Rencontres de Moriond-2001, Les Arcs, France, March, 2001.
Strategies for Minimum Bias Events in the TileCal .
ATLAS Tile Calorimeter Analysis Workshop, CERN, Geneva, October, 2000.
Strategies for Minimum Bias Events in the TileCal .
ATLAS Tile Calorimeter ROD Workshop, Valencia, Spain, December, 1999.
New Phenomena at sqrt(s)=183-189 GeV at LEP2 .
American Physical Society Centennial Meeting, March 23, 1999, Atlanta,
Gauginos and Sfermions in Gauge-Mediated SUSY Breaking Models at LEP2 .
American Physical Society Centennial Meeting, March 23, 1999, Atlanta,
Searches for New
Phenomena at sqrt(s)=183-189 GeV at LEP2 .
Next Linear Collider R&D Workshop, September 28, 1998, Keystone,
Searches for Heavy
and Excited Fermions at sqrt(s)=183-189 GeV at LEP2.
XXIX International Conference on High Energy Physics (ICHEP 98), July
24, 1998, Vancouver, Canada.
Chargino, Neutralino, Scalar top and Scalar bottom Production in High-Energy
Collisions at LEP2 .
APS/AAPT April 18, 1998, Columbus, Ohio, U.S.A.
Leptoquark Production in High-Energy Collisions at LEP2 .
APS/AAPT April 22, 1998, Columbus, Ohio, U.S.A.
Fermi Institute, High Energy
Physics, University of Chicago
Graduate work in the
with the University of Toronto
Third Level Trigger (CERN 92-07).
using the HERA
electron-proton collider at .
(No relation to Richard (France) Teuscher (Switzerland))
CERN: Richard Teuscher
Canada: Richard Teuscher
CERN ATLAS Dept. of Physics, University of Toronto
Build/Bat 40, 1-C16 60 St. George Street
CH-1211 Geneva 23 Toronto, ON M5S 1A7
Phone: ++ 41 22 767 4329 (forwards to mobile) Phone: (416) 978 1543
Mobile: ++41 76 487 4199 Fax: (416) 978 8221
Fax: ++41 22 767 8350
Email: Richard.Teuscher at cern.ch
Here is a photo of some of the ATLAS Toronto group at CERN in July 2012: